Tuesday, January 8, 2013

One Student not returning to piano lessons. . .

One of my young piano students
will not be returning to lessons,
at least, not now.

It makes me feel sad.

:( 

Her grades in school started to drop,
so her parents decided
to limit her outside activities.
And one of the “outside activities” that was dropped
is music study.

Heavy sigh.

I wish parents would get it.
I mean,
I really wish they would get it.
Limit her tv time.
Limit her computer time.
Take away phone time.
But take away piano?
Seriously, folks,
I just don’t get it.

OK.
I respect that parents have to decide
what is best for their children.
I really do.
But I think some folks need a little help
and seeing what that really is.

Studies have shown
that preschoolers who received piano lessons
scored 34% higher than their nonmusical counterparts
in tests measuring spatial-temporal reasoning,
which is the brain function
used to understand math, science and engineering.
Piano students have improved reading scores
and enhanced memory.
Piano study helps
with complex thought process.
In simpler terms,
 piano lessons make you smarter.. .

Studies also show
that piano lessons
help to raise a child’s self-esteem
and helps them with concentration
which, in turn, can help with homework and study habits.

There’s a disconnect here
and I’m not too sure what to do about it.

I think, maybe,
if the piano student 
was a child of musician parents,
they would get it.
But, it's sort of like,
the parents don't know
what they don't know.
Does this make sense???

Anyhow,
I'm sorry that this happened.
I wish I could help.
I wish I could do something
that would bring her back into music study. ..

. . .maybe I need to design a parent session,
to be taken before the child starts lessons.
In this session I would detail
some of the above information
and a lot more. . .
. . .something that really details
the Benefits of Music Study. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment